Wednesday 30 April 2014

DIY: 5 Seconds of Summer Shirt

Hey guys! So today I am going to show you how to make your own 5sos (5 seconds of summer) band tee! If you haven't heard of them... Well go listen to them because I promise that you won't regret it! Just because I am creating a tutorial to make your own band tee or merch, that doesn't mean that I don't think you should go buy some anyways to support them! You can find their merch here :-). You can also go to their youtube to listen to their music! Anyways, enough about the band. Let's start the shirt!





Materials

  • Old shirt
  • Scissors
  • Fabric paint
  • Paint brushes
  • Cardboard
  • Paper clips
  • Sharpie
  • Ruler
To begin, cut the sleeves off so that it is a tank top. Cut the first sleeve as thick (on the shoulders) as you want and as deep (on the sides) as you want. I just eyeballed this, but after you cut the first sleeve; fold it over to use as an outline for the other sleeve.
Step 2: 
Take a ruler and approximately find the middle of the shirt. Once you found the middle, mark it with your sharpie. 
Next measure how high you want the middle of the shirt to come up. After that is done, draw a diagonal line from that point down to the edge on each side of the shirt. Then follow this line with your scissors; cutting the front and back of the shirt.
This is before I painted it; it is only outline of the logo.
This is before I painted it; it is only the outline.
Front
Back


Step 1:
We're going to begin with cutting the t-shirt. It's very similar to my tie dye tank top two weeks ago. Except the hem of  the shirt will come up in the middle. 




Next we are going to cut the collar. This is very simple since the collar was left fairly high. Cut the collar that is sewn onto the shirt off, following the stitching. Next cut the front of the collar down on both side about 2-3 inches; letting the sides meet in the middle in a shape that resembles a triangle. Just leave the back of the collar as it is. 

Now we are going to cut the hem of the shirt. I completely forgot to take pictures for this part, so you're going to have to bear with me trying to explain how to do it through typing. To begin, cut the hem that is already sewn onto the shirt off and cut it to the desired length (keeping in mind that the shirt will come up in the middle). I cut mine up higher than the shirt was originally; because mine was extremely long on me.




Step 3:

This is the fun part! Now you get to put the logo onto your shirt.  I created the circle on paper so that I could trace it onto the shirt. I also practice drawing the logo itself on a scrap piece of paper before I drew on the shirt. Once I had the circle traced onto my shirt and practiced drawing the logo enough I drew the logo onto the shirt freehand with a sharpie.

Then I flipped the shirt over and drew "Hemmo 1996" on the back sort of like a jersey. This was also freehand with a sharpie.


Step 4:

Once you have the outline of your logo and Hemmo 1996 on your shirt, it's time to begin painting! Slide a piece of cardboard into the middle of your shirt and secure it with paper clips so that your shirt stays still while you're painting.




Then pour some black fabric paint (or whatever colour you prefer) onto some cardboard. Take a small paint brush and trace the words so that it will be easier to paint without making a mess. Once you did that you can use a bigger paint brush or the same one you used to trace the words and finish filling everything in.


This is the finished product:



Keep in mind that by posting this I am not encouraging you to not support 5 seconds of summer by buying their merch. This is just a fun project that you can do to create a shirt of your own.


I hope you enjoyed this post! :-) Don't forget to go and check out their youtube channel!!! :-) 

P.S. There is a poll that will be up until next Wednesday and if you vote you have a say in what kind of posts I make in the future! :-)












No comments:

Post a Comment