Wednesday 4 June 2014

DIY: Knotted Fringe Tank Top

Hey guys! So today I'm going to show you how to make a tank top with knotted fringe (I guess that's what we'll call it) at the waist. This shirt took about 20-30 minutes but it's totally worth it! So let's get started :-)

Materials:
  • Chalk
  • Old Shirt
  • Fabric Scissors
Step 1:
To being you will put the shirt on and mark where your waist is using chalk. I drew this line all around my body so that I could use it when cutting the fringe. After you have that line marked cut off the collar of the shirt following the seam.

Step 2:
Now we're going to cut the fringe. To do this you can mark horizontal lines about 1/4 - 1/2 an inch down. These will be where you cut to create the fringe.



Once the lines are marked just cut upwards. You could do the front and back at the same time or do them separately. I did mine separately and once I had the front done I flipped the fringe up (onto the stomach area of the shirt) so that it wouldn't get in the way while I cut the back fringe.




Step 3:
This is where things get a little tricky; so please bear with me.

Begin with your shirt laying flat with the back fringes flipped up so that they are out of the way. Pick up the fringe closest to the edge of the shirt (fringe 1) and then take the fringe beside it (fringe 2) it and tie fringe 2 over and under fringe 1. (So cross fringe 2 over top of fringe one and then tie the knot under). Next pick up piece that is closest to fringe 2 on the opposite side and tie it over and under the fringe 1 and 2 combination. Continue tying each fringe over and under across the whole shirt . Once the front is done flip the shirt over and repeat the same steps on the back. Once you have finished the knots it should look like this:


Sorry I had to use my phone so the quality is terrible :-(


I hope you guys enjoyed this post! I have another project that I've been working on and I'm pretty excited for it. Hopefully it looks as good finished as it does in my head. If you enjoyed this post it would be great if you could share it with your friends on Twitter, Facebook or any other social media that you use! Don't forget to comment if you have any suggestions for future posts and I will see you next Wednesday!!! :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment